Jackknife Accidents Attorneys in Houston, Texas
Were You Injured in a Jackknife Truck Accident in Houston, Texas?
At Hollingsworth Law Firm, our Houston semi-truck accident attorney has extensive experience handling jackknife accident claims. We are committed to holding large trucking companies and their commercial insurance accountable. If you or your loved one was involved in a jackknife accident, we are more than ready to help. To set up your no-cost, no-obligation consultation with a top Texas tractor-trailer accident lawyer, please contact us at our Houston law office today.
What is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
A jackknife truck accident is a specific type of large vehicle crash where the trailer of a semi-truck skews at an acute angle to the cab, thereby resembling a folding pocket knife. Most often, these crashes occur when the trailer moves faster than the cab. The underlying cause could be sudden braking or on slippery roads. Jackknife situations can cause the truck driver to lose control. In some cases, multiple lanes may be affected. Given the size and weight of these trucks, jackknife accidents can be catastrophic, leading to significant property damage, injuries, or fatalities. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) estimates that nearly 2,500 jackknife truck accidents are reported nationwide each year.
Understanding Liability for Jackknife Accidents in Texas
Navigating the aftermath of a jackknife crash can be especially challenging. While federal safety regulations could come into play, a semi-truck accident claim still falls largely under Texas law. Here is an overview of jackknife accident liability in Houston, TX:
- Liability for a Truck Accident Based on Fault: Texas is a fault-based traffic collision jurisdiction. It is a standard that covers the complete spectrum of crashes, including jackknife tractor-trailer accidents. To hold a trucking company or another other party legally responsible for a jackknife crash, you must provide evidence showing that their negligence—failure to exercise due care—contributed to the wreck.
- Comparative Negligence Standard Applies: It is possible that more than one party could be held responsible for a jackknife accident. Notably, an injured victim could even bear partial fault for this type of wreck. Under Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code Ann. § 33.001, a modified comparative fault system of apportionment applies to these cases. You can recover compensation for a jackknife accident if you bear partial fault as long as you are not liable for more than 50% of the blame.
- Two-Year Statute of Limitations: You do not have an unlimited period of time to file a truck accident injury lawsuit in Houston. Under Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code Ann § 16.003, there is a two-year statute of limitations for motor vehicle collisions. A proactive approach to any jackknife crash is a must. Speak with a Houston, TX, semi-truck accident attorney right away after a serious wreck.
We Help Jackknife Accidents Victims in Houston Fight for Maximum Compensation
Hurt in a jackknife crash or any other type of collision with a semi-truck in Southeast Texas? It is imperative that you are able to secure the full and fair financial relief that you can use to pay bills and provide for your damage. Sadly, you cannot rely on trucking companies or insurers to do what is best for your interests. Our jackknife accident lawyers in Houston help victims pursue financial compensation for the following:
- Automobile repairs;
- Emergency room care;
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earnings;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
Why Work With a Jackknife Accident Lawyer in Houston?
A jackknifed truck can cause catastrophic injuries. Navigating the claims process is difficult. Our founding attorney Steve Hollingsworth is a trial-tested attorney committed to putting the rights and interests of injured victims first. We are proactive, and results-driven, and we only get paid when we win your case. Among other things, our Houston jackknife accident attorneys are prepared to:
- Hear what you have to say and answer your legal questions;
- Investigate the jackknife accident—gathering evidence to prove liability and damages;
- Assist you with the insurance claims paperwork and represent you in settlement talks; and
- Take aggressive action to help you secure the maximum financial compensation.
Contact Our Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer in Houston
At Hollingsworth Law Firm, our Houston truck accident attorneys go above and beyond to protect the rights and interests of victims and families. If you or a loved one was hurt in a jackknife crash, we are here to help. Contact our Houston personal injury lawyer to set up your free, no-commitment consultation. With a legal office in Houston, we fight for the rights of truck accident victims throughout Southeast Texas.