Underride Accident Attorneys in Houston, Texas
In Need Of An Underride Accidents Lawyer In Houston?
At Hollingsworth Law Firm, our Houston semi-truck accident attorney handles the full range of underride accident claims. Our law firm is devoted to protecting the rights and interests of victims and families. If you or your family member was injured in an underride crash, we are more than ready to help. To arrange a free case evaluation with a Texas commercial truck accident lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact us at our Houston office today.
What is an Underride Truck Accident?
Broadly defined, an underride truck accident occurs when a smaller vehicle slides or is forced underneath the rear or side of a larger semi-truck or its trailer. It is a type of collision that can be particularly gruesome as the top portion of the smaller vehicle is often sheared off upon impact, endangering the occupants inside. According to data compiled by the Frontline and ProPublica, underride accidents are responsible for approximately 400 fatalities nationwide each year. The primary causes include sudden braking by the truck, poor visibility, or a car’s inability to recognize a truck’s slow speed. Despite safety measures like underride guards, these accidents still happen far too frequently in Southeast Texas.
Understanding Liability for Underride Accidents in Texas
Every underride accident requires a thorough investigation. These can be extremely complex legal cases. Federal safety regulations could be relevant to your case, but underride accident liability is still governed by state law. Here is an overview of underride accident claims in Houston:
- Liability for an Underride Accident is Based on Fault: Texas is a fault-based motor vehicle accident jurisdiction, including for commercial truck accident claims. A trucking company is not automatically liable for a crash—even an underride crash. Every accident must be thoroughly investigated by an experienced Houston truck accident lawyer. The specific circumstances of the case always matter.
- Modified Comparative Negligence: Multiple parties may bear legal responsibility for the same underride crash. Under Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code Ann. § 33.001, our state follows a modified comparative negligence doctrine to apportion fault. An injured victim who is partially responsible for their own underride accident will be required to bear a proportional share of their damages.
- Statute of Limitations for Truck Accidents: A proactive approach is key in commercial truck accident cases in Texas. Under Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code Ann § 16.003, all motor vehicle accident injury claims—including semi-truck underride accidents—are covered by the state’s statutory deadline. What happens if you fail to initiate a claim within two years? You could be denied the opportunity to seek financial compensation for your damages. Protect your rights by speaking with a Houston truck accident lawyer immediately after a wreck.
We Help Underride Accidents Victims in Houston Fight for the Maximum Compensation
An underride truck accident can change your entire life. Too many of these crashes cause catastrophic harm to victims. Truck accident victims and their families need the maximum available financial compensation. Sadly, the big trucking corporations and their even larger insurance companies are focused on settling claims for less, possibly even denying liability. Our underride accident attorneys in Houston help injured victims seek compensation for the following:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Emergency room costs;
- Hospital bills;
- Other medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earrings;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Long-term disability;
- Physical scarring; and
- Wrongful death.
How Our Underride Accident Lawyer in Houston Can Help
Underride accident claims are complicated. You cannot rely on trucking companies or their insurers to look out for your best interests. Our founder and owner, Steve Hollingsworth, is a trial-tested truck accident attorney. We have recovered millions for injured victims, and we are committed to proactive representation. Among other things, our Houston semi-truck accident attorney can:
- Conduct a free, comprehensive review of your underride accident claim;
- Investigate the underride accident—gathering evidence to prove liability and damages;
- Handle all legal paperwork and correspondence with insurance companies; and
- Take aggressive action to help you secure the maximum financial compensation.
Contact Our Houston, TX Underride Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
At Hollingsworth Law Firm, our semi-truck accident attorney is a top, reliable counsel for injured victims. If you or your loved one was hurt in an underride crash, our legal team can help. Contact our Houston personal injury lawyer to set up your free initial appointment. With an office in Houston, we handle underride accident claims in Harris County and all across Southeast Texas.