Major Causes of Rear-End Collisions in Texas
At the Hollingsworth Law Firm, our Houston car accident attorneys know that traffic collisions can happen in many ways in Texas — including rear-end collisions — which is when the front bumper of one vehicle strikes the rear bumper of another.
Unfortunately, these crashes occur often.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, rear-end crashes are the most frequently occurring type of collision, accounting for approximately 29% of all crashes and resulting in a substantial number of injuries and fatalities each year.
There is no single cause of rear-end accidents. Instead, there are many. Here we look at the different factors that lead to these significant crashes.
How Do Texas Rear-End Crashes Occur?
There are multiple ways rear-end collisions can occur in Texas.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Tailgating: Tailgating is when one motorist drives too close to the vehicle in front of him or her, leaving insufficient room for the rear vehicle to come to a complete stop if the leading vehicle stops suddenly.
- Distracted Driving: When a driver’s attention is anywhere but on the road (and vehicle) in front of them, it is impossible to see the leading car, truck, or SUV stop – suddenly or otherwise. Common distractions may include, but are not limited to:
- Adjusting onboard electronics.
- Eating or drinking.
- Reaching for an item.
- Speaking with passengers or children in the backseat.
- Taking pictures or videos.
- Talking on the phone, even on a hands-free device.
- Texting, emailing, or posting on social media.
- Speeding: When a motorist is exceeding the speed limit, it takes longer to stop when another vehicle pulls in front of them, or when there is an emergency.
- Aggressive Driving: Aggressive motorists typically drive with a lack of patience for those with whom they share the roads. This can often lead to weaving in and out of traffic, running stop signs or red lights, tailgating, cutting off other drivers, or pulling in front of another driver and quickly applying the brakes.
Each of these behaviors creates a heightened risk of causing rear-end collisions in Texas.
If you or a loved one has been injured or lost their life in rear-end accident caused by negligence in Texas, contact our dedicated Houston personal injury lawyers at the Hollingsworth Law Firm today by calling 713-637-4560 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Our skilled bilingual personal injury lawyers and support staff represent clients throughout the state of Texas on a contingency basis, so you never pay any legal fees unless we win your case.
If you are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve, so are we. Let us take the lead in determining who is liable for your crash, so together we can pursue them for your full financial recovery.